Many thanks to Liat Considine of @safebeautyla who collaborated with us to bring you this post!
Sustainability isn’t just about saving the planet. It’s about keeping us healthy, too! Seemingly small choices, like the products we put on our skin, have enormous potential to change the total toxic burden on our bodies. Here are a few ways you can clean up your daily routine and reduce your overall toxic exposure.
- Start simple. Think about the products you use daily. By swapping out even one of them for a safer, healthier alternative, you're reducing your toxic exposure significantly! Think: deodorant, shampoo, lotion, facial moisturizer, or any other day-to-day go-to.
- Understand “clean” vs “dirty” ingredients to know what is safe. Many serious health issues that are on the rise can be linked to exposure to chemicals that are in cosmetics and personal care products. There are more than 80,000 chemicals used in formulating personal care products worldwide, and currently only a handful are banned in the US. Many of the common ingredients found in skin care and beauty products have toxic, unwanted side effects.
- Don’t be fooled by green-washing! Words like “natural” or “organic” doesn’t always mean clean or safe. The personal care industry is largely unregulated by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration).
- Here are a few key ingredients to avoid:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS and SLES) - strip the skin of its natural defenses
- Parabens (methyl-, isobutyl-, propyl- and others) - interfere with hormone production and balance
- Phthalates (DBP, DEHP, DEP and others) - alter hormones and fertility
- Oxybenzone - alters hormones and has been linked to endometriosis
- Triclosan and Triclocarban - impede thyroid and immune function
- Synthetic flavor or fragrance - wide variety of health effects, depending on source of chemicals
- Shop smart! Seek out reliable sources of information. We love the Skin Deep Database by EWG (Environmental Working Group). Search their vast database for products or ingredients to learn what’s safe. Or simply shop The Source! We’ve done the homework for you.
We at The Source are committed to working with trusted brands that are not only safe to use but are taking the extra step to go green! All the beauty and personal care products we carry at The Source are clean, free of harmful chemicals, and made with love by artisans who are passionate about non-toxic beauty. You can make a difference too by shopping from better, safer brands. Your choices make a difference!